Friday, October 16, 2009

Rawa-Besan Laadoo

I know that everyone is wondering about my ladoo making spree!! But it's Diwali - festival of lights and I want Gudiya to have the childhood memories of Diwali. My husband wonders why am I taking all these efforts to make ladoos and chiwdas. "If you are in Rome, do as the Romans do" - He quips.

Well, as October arrives, we always head out to our nearest apple farm to pick apples. We spend good time there drinking freshly squeezed apple cider and eating freshly made apple donuts. Then we visit the local pumpkin patch to pick the pumpkins, play in the corn maze. After arriving home, we carve, paint or decorate the pumpkin. We make every possible Halloween decorations with spooky kitties, friendly witches, and pumpkins on the window panes. Halloween generally comes hand in hand with Diwali.

Diwali preparations at my home start with cleaning everything. Not that I am ever satisfied. Then, usually I decide that I am not going to make anything this year. and as Diwali approaches, I quietly start making the faraL. How can Diwali feel Diwali without any faral? I question myself. Yesterday was the first day of Diwali - Dhanteras or Dhanatrayodashi. Gudiya and I cleaned the steps outside our door. We put a lantern on a branch of a tree. I took out "Diyas" to light them. "Mommy, you didn't put Rangoli." Gudiya screamed. and Oh yeah! We took out the rangoli and decorated the front side. Diyas were lit right next to pumpkin. Our home was ready to welcome Diwali & Halloween. I hope Gudiya cherishes her Indian American heritage and has happy memories of Diwali & Halloween.

Diwali is the festival to celebrate the triumph of good over evil, victory of light over darkness. I wish all of you a happy, peaceful & blessed Diwali.

Rawa-Besan Laadoo (makes 12 count)
रवा बेसनाचे लाडू
1 cup rawa/semolina
1/2 cup besan/chickpea flour
2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter/toop
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup milk
1 cup sugar

Crush together,
1/8 tsp nutmeg
5 cardamoms, peeled

1. Melt 1 tbsp ghee in a heavy bottomed wok/kadai/saucepan. Roast rawa for 20 minutes on a low flame. Set aside.
2. In the same saucepan, melt remaining ghee. Roast besan for 20 minutes on a low flame. Mix in the roasted rawa. Set aside to cool down.
3. Mix sugar, water and milk. Heat on a medium heat to make paak of one thread consistency.
4. Switch off the gas. Add cardamom and nutmeg powder.
5. Add rawa and besan mixture. Stir well.
6. Let the mixture cool down. Roll to make 12 laadoos.

Note -
1. Traditional recipe uses more ghee than I used. For the above proporations, at least 1/4 cup ghee is needed.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs