PaataL pohyancha Chiwda
पातळ पोह्यांचा चिवडा
4 cups thin pohe/flattened rice
1/4 cup oil
salt to taste
2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup raw peanuts
3/4 cup daliya/dalya/puffed chana daal
1/4 cup dry coconut pieces/sukya khobryachya kaataLya [I used Let's Do Organic brand]
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp asafoetida
2 green chilies, chopped
2 sprigs curry leaves, torn
1. Roast pohe on a low flame for about 12 minutes. Set aside to cool down.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add mustard seeds, turmeric powder, asafoetida, curry leaves, chopped chilies. Fry till chilies are nicely roasted.
3. Add peanuts, daliya and coconut pieces. Roast on a medium flame till they are crisp.
4. Now add pohe, salt & sugar.
5. Stir till pohe are coated with the tempering.
6. After it's ready, I pour it in a paper towel lined steel container to absorb all the excess oil
7. Change the paper towel if needed to absorb as much oil as you can.
8. Store in an airtight container.
1. The paper towel step is my idea of removing excess oil. You can eliminate this step if you like.
2. This chiwda also goes by the name "kachcha chiwda" in my family.
3. Use more peanuts if you like.
4. I used "Lets Do Organic" brand's unsweetened, toasted coconut flakes