Kanchipuram Style Steamed Dumplings
Stir in together -
2 cups leftover Idli batter
1/2 cup sour yogurt3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp black pepper powder
1 green chili, minced
1/2" ginger, peeled & grated
Handful of cashews
Banana Leaves for wrapping
Oil for greasing
1. Mix all the ingredients & set aside the batter.
2. Bring a steamer/pressure cooker/peddavaN to boil.
3. Take a metal thali/plate. Line it with banana leaves cut into the size of the thali. Grease it lightly. Spread the mixture on top. Garnish with one cashew per thali/plate.
4. Steam like you would steam any dumplings. If using pressure cooker, do not use the pressure.
5. Serve the idli along with the chutney of your choice.
1. If the plate is too big, you can cut the idli in the triangular pieces before serving.
2. For a variation, turmeric leaves can be used instead of banana leaves.
3. Banana leaves are available in the frozen section of most of the oriental stores.