Sunday, October 25, 2009

Dahi nu Gosht

I came across this recipe in my scribbled notes. I am almost certain that I probably wrote this recipe down while watching Sanjeev Kapoor's Khana Khazana while in India. But I couldn't find this recipe on his website. If I ever come across the original recipe there, I will provide the link.

Dahi nu Gosht
Meat & Yogurt Curry
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
2 medium potatoes, cut into big chunks
1/2 tsp turmeric powder

1 tbsp olive oil/ghee/butter
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 medium onion, minced - approx. 1 cup
2-3 cloves
1 baadiya/star anise
1 cinnamon
2 dry, red chilies

Grind to a fine paste
1 cup cilantro/coriander leaves
2 green chilies
2" ginger
3-4 cloves garlic
You will also neeed,
1 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used fatfree organic yogurt)
salt to taste

1. Grind green chutney to a smooth paste.
2. Whisk yogurt with green chutney and turmeric powder.
3. Pour over chicken and potato pieces. Marinate for 2 hours in the refriegerator.
4. In a pressure cooker, heat olive oil/ ghee or butter. Add sugar. As the sugar caramelizes, add onion and whole spices. Let onion get uniformly browned, but not burnt.
5. Now add marinated chicken and potatoes along with all the marinade. Saute for 5 minutes.
6. Add 1/4 cup water and salt. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Let the pressure drop of its own.
7. Remove the lid. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Serve with brown rice or buttered toast.

Note -
1. For a richer taste or variation, take 2 cups yogurt and hang it in a muslin cloth overnight to drain all the whey. Use the hung yogurt & proceed.
2. If you prefer thin gravy, use more water.
3. The original recipe calls for mutton.

This post is my entry to RCI - Parsi cuisine hosted by me!
RCI event is started by Lakshmi of Veggie Cuisine.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs