Thursday, October 22, 2009

Dahi Ma Bhida or Dahi Bhendi - Okra in Yogurt

I knew this recipe as "Dahi Bhendi". My moushi used to make bhendichi partun bhaaji or stir fried okra and then sometimes, she used add the bhaaji in the whisked & seasoned yogurt. Delicious. Moushi's tempering for making crisp okra is simple, just mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder & some chili powder for taste. She puts more oil than usual to make okra crisp.

Then with a tiny change in the seasoning, I found the South Indian version "Vendakkai Thair Pachadi" in the book "Dakshin" by Mrs. Chandra Padmanabhan. Here, the tempering ingredients were slightly different with the usual South Indian spices like mustard seeds, red chilies, urad daal, curry leaves etc and then stirred in the yogurt. Delectable!!

and then I came across yet another version with a little twist at Here the ginger-garlic paste is used and yogurt is simmered a little. and this version was a Parsi delicacy. Recipe&MenuId=0

This post is my entry to RCI - Parsi cuisine hosted by me!
RCI event is started by Lakshmi of Veggie Cuisine.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs