1 cup rice
1 cup yellow moong daal
1/2 tsp Gujarati Garam Masala (or per taste)
salt to taste
4 cups water
Grind to paste
2 cloves garlic
2 green chilies
2 tsp oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
Goad Kairi (Gujarati Sweet Mango Pickle)
1. Pick rice and daal for the impurities. Soak in water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onion, turmeric powder and asafoetida.
3. Saute till onion is soft. Now add green masala paste. Saute for 2 minutes. Add Gujarati Garam Masala. Fry for 1 minute.
4. Drain rice-daal mixture. Add to the pot. saute for 1 minute.
5. Add water & salt. Bring to boil.
6. Switch the gas to low. Cover and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes till rice and daal get cooked.
7. Switch off the gas. Keep covered for 5 minutes.
8. Serve hot with ghee or kadhi. I served my khichdi with goad keri (Gujarati sweet mango pickle ) & roasted papad.
1. You can add more water to get porridge like consistency.
2. Use Surti Kolum rice if it is available.