Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Buns or Bhubhusroti 1&2 - Konkani Deep Fried Biscuits

Buns just take me back to my childhood days. It wasn't made often since it had "maida" & "baking soda" and my grandmother wasn't fond of both of those ingredients. It was also called "Bhubhusroti" in my family and I used to love that name a lot. The best thing about buns was to open the brown, puffed up puri and touch the cotton like fluff inside. Yum! However, I saw one major difference between buns that were made in my home vs. buns being blogged around the blogosphere. Surprisingly, our buns never had any ripe banana. Actually we have two family recipes of buns - one with homemade white butter/LoNi (grandmother's) and the other with yogurt (grandmother's sister). But both recipes don't have banana. Personally, I loved Maya's choice of using wheat flour. I should have used that approach, but I have this maida at home that I needed to use up quickly and also, it's been really a long time since I ate these buns last. So I feel it's OK to indulge, once in a while. ;-)

Buns/Bhubhusroti 1 & 2 - (Makes 25 count)
Deep Fried Biscuits
1 1/2 cup maida/all purpose flour
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp homemade white butter/loNi/Makhan
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp plain yogurt
Method for Buns/Bhubhusroti 1 - Akka Aaji Style
1. Mix all the dry ingredients like flour, sugar, salt and baking soda together. Set aside.
2. Using spoonful at a time, add yogurt and knead not-very-soft dough. Keep kneading till the dough does not stick to your hands anymore. Cover and keep aside for 8 - 10 hours
Method for Buns/Bhubhusroti 2 - Amma Sytle
1. Dissolve sugar, salt and baking soda in 1/2 cup water
2. Take flour in a big paraat. Add melted homemade butter/loNi on top of the flour. Mix well.
3. Knead not-so-soft dough using water, spoonful at time.
4. Knead till dough no longer sticks to your hands.
5. Cover and keep aside for 8 -10 hours
Method continues -
- After 8 - 10 hours, the dough will rise. Knead well again to punch it down.
- Make small balls and roll out thick discs/puris.
- Heat oil for deep frying
- Deep fry buns till they are dark brown in color - not burnt
- Drain on the absorbent paper
- Serve with tea
Note -
1. Traditionally, buns dough is made early in the morning to get the buns/bhubhusroti along with evening/afternoon tea.
2. The real trick is to achieve the cotton like soft & fluffy consistency inside and crunchy consistency outside and not just puri like hollow space.
3. I made my buns using yogurt and not the white butter.
4. They need to get the deep brown color while frying however, make sure they don't get burnt.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs