By the way, I am planning to give a tribute to our Farmers market this week. and if I remember, next week, I am planning to dedicate my recipes to my kitchen garden. Let's see how that goes!
Yardlong beans Stir Fry
1 bunch vaali/chawli/yardlong beans, chopped
1/2 cup kala vatana or kala chana sprouts
1/2 tbsp jaggery
salt to taste
2 tsp oil (preferably coconut)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 small onion, chopped approx = 1/2 cup
4-5 garlic cloves, peeled & smashed leaving each clove in tact
3-4 red chilies, halved
1 tbsp - 1/4 cup fresh coconut
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
1. Pressure cook chana or kala vatana. Set aside.
2. Steam chopped yard long beans. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan or a wok. Add all the ingredients for tempering. Saute til onion is soft.
4. Now add yardlong beans, sprouts along with 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
5. Add salt, jaggery. Cook for 5 minutes.
6. Mix desired quantity of coconut (1 tbsp or 1/4 cup) with black pepper powder. Stir in the pot.
7. Simmer till the jaggery melts and the water is completely evaporated.
1. Instead of steaming the yardlong beans separately, you can add them in the saucepan after onion is soft. In that case, cover the lid with water and let it cook till beans are steamed and then proceed.