Ridgegourd is known as Turiya in Hindi and Dodka or ShiraLe in Marathi. Well, whatever you call it, I didn't like it a bit when I was growing up. But now, I have managed to actually like most of my veggies. It's either because I miss mom's food/kitchen miserably or looks like I have finally grown up!:-D
1 ridgegourd/dodka/shirale/turiya, peeled & cut into 2" long strips
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup yellow moong daal, soaked in water for 2 hours
salt to taste
1/2 tsp coriander-cumin powder
1 tsp green chili-ginger paste/watela aadu-marcha
1/4 tsp sugar
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
4 boriya chilies or 2 dry red chilies, halved
1 tbsp fresh coconut
1. Heat oil in a wok or kadai. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
2. As the seeds splutter, add drained moong daal. Saute for 30 seconds. Add tomato. Saute again for 30 seconds.
3. Now add ridgegourd strips. Let it cook in its own juice.
4. Add salt, coriander-cumin powder, sugar and chili-ginger paste.
5. Once the gourd is soft, garnish with coconut
1. Do not need any water. Let the gourd cook in its own juice.