Gudiya was looking forward to BaL Krishna's birthday. She remembered it from the last year. We took out the small cradle that my moushi sent me from India. We place baby Krishna and said the prayers. I narrated Gudiya the story of "Dahi Handi". I do not know how much she understood but she liked it. I was nostalgic telling her about the "Dahi handi -Govinda aala re..." in Mumbai. (wonder if there will be any dahi handi this year, due to the Swine flu?)
Generally on this day, we make some pohe recipes like kalya undo or dahi pohe, doodh pohe or guL pohe or rus pohe and panch kaday or rava ladoo.
This time for the prasad, we made the simplest Rus pohe. It's just thick pohe in the sweetened coconut milk.
Cereal & coconut milk
1 cup thick pohe/pressed rice
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
2 tbsp jaggery, grated (or per taste)
1/8 tsp salt
4-5 cardamoms, peeled & crushed
1. Rinse pohe and keep aside for 10 minutes.
2. Dissolve grated jaggery in the coconut milk along with salt and cardamom powder.
3. Mix pohe with the "rus" - sweetened coconut milk.
4. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
1. If you keep this pohe for a long time, it will absorb the coconut milk. It tastes good that way too, but if you want some liquid in it, you can add more coconut milk.
2. I think this pohe taste best if served chilled.
3. Homemade thick coconut milk tastes the best for this recipe. I do not get good quality coconuts here. So I used store-bought reduced fat coconut milk.