Monday, August 31, 2009
Most of my non-Gujarati friends associate thepla with methi or fenugreek leaves. but my MIL whips out many permutations and combinations where each and every one tastes delicious and unique. With the help of my MIL, aunt and grand aunt, I already have 3 recipes of humble methi theplas. But today, let's see this masala thepla flavored with ajwain and cumin.
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp ajmo/owa/ajwain/carrom seeds - roast for 30 seconds
1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera - roast for 30 seconds
1/2 tsp red chili powder (or per taste)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
1 tbsp plain yogurt or cream/malai
1 tsp oil
water for kneading
oil for roasting
1. Mix flour with all the dry ingredients.
2. Add yogurt or cream along with water to make a soft dough.
3. Add 1 tsp oil and knead well. Cover and keep aside.
4. Make 18 small balls and roll out into thin discs.
5. Heat tawa/pan. Roast the flatbreads adding oil as needed till brown spots appear on both sides.
6. Cover in a cotton kitchen napkin or aluminum foil till ready to use.
7. Serve with achar/athanu or chundo.
1. My MIL adds malai as it makes theplas softer. I prefer to use nonfat plain yogurt.