Kathan Daal is a variation of Modi daal. Though the ingredients are similar to modi daal or even VaraN, the texture and consistency is totally different. My grand aunt used to make this daal. The only requirement for relishing this regional delicacy? A huge dollop of homemade ghee/clarified butter!:-D
The word "Kathan" means hard. Here, it means that water is totally evaporated.
1/2 cup toor daal
2 cups water
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 tbsp jaggery
1/2 tsp coriander-cumin powder (fresh)
Chapati/rotla or rice
1. Pressure cook daal adding 2 cups water.
2. Drain water from cooked daal. Pass through sieve. add more water. Set it aside for osamun.
3. Add turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt and jaggery to the boiled daal.
4.. Boil daal till water is entirely evaporated. Switch gas to lowest. Let it cook till it becomes dry and jaggery is completely melted.
5. Serve hot with a huge dollop of homemade ghee and chapatis/rotlas/fulkas or rice.
1. Make sure that you serve this daal right off the flame. It has to be fresh and hot to enjoy the real taste.