Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Green Tomato Chutney

This is a simple recipe that gives a wonderful tribute to those fresh, green tomatoes in your backyard - or in my case, pots. We love to eat this chutney with idlis and dosas. But it can also be served as a part of the meal. If I have to serve it with idli/dosa, I add some yogurt else I don't! But this is just my choice!

Hirvya Tomato chi Chutney
Green Tomato chutney
7 raw tomatoes, approx 2 cups chopped
2 green chilies (or per taste)

2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds

Grind with
1/4 cup fresh coconut
1 tbsp jaggery, grated
salt to taste

Stir in (Optional)
3/4 cup plain yogurt

1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder and cumin seeds. As they splutter, add sesame seeds. Saute on a low flame till sesame seeds slightly change their color.
2. Now stir in chilies and tomatoes. Saute for 7 minutes.
3. Let the tomato mixture cool down.
4. Grind coarsely with coconut, jaggery and salt

1. While serving this chutney with idli/dosa, I always add some yogurt.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs