Saturday, August 29, 2009

Farasbichi bhaji - Green beans stir fry


I met this grand, old American lady at the farmer's market. "Go & grab those fresh green beans!" She told me. She told me that she had come specifically to buy those because last week, she got some and cooked with bacon and they tasted amazing & her husband & brother just loved them. Of course, I thanked her and bought some green beans which were amazingly fresh. But I decided to combine them with green peas and potatoes just like my mom as I just couldn't understand the flavor of bacon with them.


Farasbichi Bhaaji
Green Beans Stir Fry
Ingredients
1 lb fresh green beans/farasbi/fansi/shravan ghevda, chopped
1/2 cup fresh green peas
1 small potato, peeled & chopped
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar

Tempering
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 green chilies, slit


Garnish

1 tbsp fresh coconut (optional)

Method

1. Steam green beans, potatoes & peas and keep aside.

2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida & turmeric powder along with green chilies.

3. As they sizzle, add steamed beans, potatoes & peas. Add 2 tbsp water, salt & sugar to taste.

4. Let the water evaporate. Garnish with coconut if using.


Note -

1. Mom always uses fresh coconut for this simple subzi. I don't as I do not get good quality fresh coconut.

2. Serve hot with simple daal & rice along with achar/loNche.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs