Baingan -Simla Mirch Ki Subzi
Eggplant-Bell Pepper stir fry
1/2 red bell pepper, cored & sliced = 1 cup
1/2 orange bell pepper, cored & sliced = 1 cup
1/2 yellow bell pepper, cored & sliced = 1 cup
1/2 green bell pepper, cored & sliced = 1 cup
1/2 big onion, peeled & sliced = 1 cup
1/2 big eggplant, peeled & sliced = 1 cup
salt to taste
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp amchoor powder/dry mango powder
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp chaat masala
2 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
1. Heat oil in a big iron kadai or wok. Add onions. Saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add eggplants. Saute for another 2 minutes
3. Now, add bell peppers. Saute on a high flame for 12 minutes making sure veggies do not stick to the bottom of the wok. If needed, add more oil if desired.
4. Add garam masala, salt and amchoor powder. Mix and fry for 5 more minutes. Veggies should be cooked but still not be too mushy.
5. Switch off the gas.
6. Garnish with cilantro and chaat masala.
1. This subzi tastes great with rotis/chapatis. But also makes an excellent filling for toasted submarines, fajita, quesidilla or just add it in the cooked fusili or penne.
2. This is one subzi which loves more oil. I try to curb it. But definitely, more the merrier type.
3. Chaat masala has rock salt in it. Since we are using both salt and chaat masala, adjust salt accordingly.
4. If you are wondering what I made with the remaining bell peppers and eggplant - I made ratatouillie. The recipe source coming soon on Enjoy World Food.