Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Alu Potoler Dalna

I tried this classic bengali dish from my favorite pressure cooker recipe booklet. I find these booklets as a treasure of regional Indian recipes. I am not sure if it is authentic or not. but I enjoy making these dishes from these booklets and change them to suit to our likings.

Alu Potoler Dalna
1 lb parwar, quartered
1 potato, peeled & sliced
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar

1 tbsp mustard oil
1 tsp panch phoron
2 bay leaves
2 red chilies, halved

Mix together
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp water

1. Heat mustard oil in a saucepan.
2. Add all the ingredients for tempering
3. As the seeds splutter, add the masala mixture
4. Now add the veggies and 1/2 cup salt. Cover and let it cook till soft but not too mushy.
5. Now add salt and sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Serve immediately

Note -
1. Panch phoron is a bengali mixture of fenugreek seeds (methi), nigella seeds (kalonji), mustard seeds (rai/sorshe), fennel seeds(badishep/saunf/variyali), cumin seeds (jira) - generally used for tempering. I had read something about randhuni being a part of panch phoron so I asked Soma of e-curry about it. She mentioned that it is celery seeds. Just the other day, I found these celery seeds at out local spice stores.



LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs