Mushroom Garam Masala
8 oz (by weight) button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashewnuts, soaked in warm water for 2 hours
1 tsp tamarind paste
1/2 tbsp jaggery
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
1 small onion, chopped = 1/4 cup
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Roast one after the other adding oil as needed
1 tsp oil
3 green cardamoms/Velchi/Veldoda/Elaichi/Elchi
9 black peppercorns/Miri
1 tbsp coriander seeds/Dhane
1 tbsp white poppy seeds/Khus Khus
7 byadgi chilies
1/2 cup coconut
2 small onion, sliced = 1/2 cup
6 garlic cloves, peeled
and / or
1. Rinse mushrooms. Slice and keep them aside.
2. Soak cashew nuts in warm water for 2 hours. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat iron or cast iron pan. Add a few drops of oil. saute all the whole spices - except poppy seeds - one after the other. Set aside. Add more oil, fry onions and garlic till both are deep browned but not burnt. Set aside. Now last add coconut. Saute till it is uniformly brown. Then add poppy seeds. Saute for another minute. Saute byadgi chilies for a minute. Let it cool down a bit and then ground all these roasted ingredients with tamarind paste and water as need to make a fine paste. Keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a pot. Add onions and turmeric powder. fry till the onion is soft. Now add mushrooms. Saute for 2 minutes. Now add drained cashew nuts. Saute again for 2 minutes. Mushroom will leave lot of water at this point. Switch the gas to low.
5. Add ground masala paste and 1 cup water. Switch the gas to high. Add salt and jaggery. Bring to boil. As the curry boils, switch the gas to low. Let it simmer for 7 minutes. Switch off the gas. Cover and keep aside till ready to serve.
1. I have used the 8 oz mushroom pack that is available at American supermarkets.
2. I have seen the cooks (on TV) advise not to rinse mushrooms but just wipe it off with a kitchen towel. I just have to rinse everything from the supermarket. So I rinse them. Please use your own judgement.
3. You will not need any oil while roasting coconut.
4. Use white poppy seeds for this recipe. Do not substitute with black poppy seeds. if you don't have white poppy seeds, leave them out.