Thursday, July 9, 2009

Patrode -1

I can close my eyes and feel I am with my maushi when she shared this recipe with me. This recipe has travelled from India to United States, from torn pages to a neat diary to Microsoft word document and now to this blog. Patroda is probably derived from the word - patra vada where patra means leaves and vada is fritters or used as dumplings here. That's the first sentence my maushi said while narrating the recipe. She loves to add twist and make mundane things very dramatic. I really do not know if it is indeed patra-vada or it's my maushi's own dramatic interpretation. but I love all this drama. :-D

You know, when people say patrode is same as Maharashtrian aluvadi or Gujarati paatra, I just squirm in my own chair. I do not want to start any debate about food. I respect food. and love patrode, aluvadi and paatra - everything equally! but still patroda is different. You can say aluvadi and patra are same but patroda is definitely deliciously different - at least for me. I mean all of them are steamed colocasia leaves rolls with masala stuffed inside. but still...Well, you see, for aluvadi or patra, you need "vadichi paane" - the taro leaves that are dark green and little rougher than the "bhajichi paane" - which are light green and delicate. Also, patroda has the ubiquitous konkani masala of coconut, byadgi chilies and tamarind along with moong or chana daal - as made in my home. It is unique! and oh so delicious!!

So why this natter? Let's go straight to the recipe.

Konkani Taro Leaves rolls
24 Taro leaves/colocasia leaves/aLuchi paane - bhajichi

Grind to a coarse paste
1 cup moong beans, soaked overnight
1/4 cup fresh coconut
2 tsp tamarind pulp
salt to taste
5-7 byadgi chilies
1/4 tsp asafoetida

1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp musstard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida

1. Soak moong beans overnight. Next morning, drain the beans.
2. Grind beans along with coconut, byadgi chilies, asafoetida, salt, tamarind to a coarse paste.
3. Remove the stems of the taro leaves and set aside for other use. (recipe coming soon for using the stems).
4. Wash the leaves thoroughly. Make sets of 4 with 6 leaves each.
5. For the first set, take the biggest leaf. Keep it on a working surface with stem side up. Spread the ground mixture generously. Place another leaf on top. Spread again. Repeat till all 6 leaves are used up. Roll up from all 4 sides to make a roll. Keep aside. and repeat the procedure for the remaining leaves, thus making 4 rolls.
6. Take a pressure cooker container. Place all the rolls carefully. Steam for 15-20 minutes without using the pressure.
7. Let the rolls cool down. Cut into slices.
8. Heat the ingredients for tempering. Drizzle the sizzling oil over the rolls.
9. Serve & enjoy!

Note -
1. The original recipe had much more coconut than mine. If desired, you can use 1 cup coconut.
2. Leftover patrode - if at all there is any leftovers - can be used to make a simple upkari by chopping the rolls and using the tempering of mustard seeds, asafoetida and byadgi chilies.
3. Instead of using moong beans, moong sprouts as well as chana daal can also be used. If using chana daal, soak it only for 4 hours.

RCI-Udupi & Mangalore

This post is my contribution to Sia's RCI - Udupi & Mangalore.
RCI event is started by Lakshmi of Veggie Cuisines.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs