Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Nanchnya Khadi - Ragi Jelly

Nanchanya Khadi was made at my home when someone fell sick. It is considered very good digestive as well as an energy booster. I didn't think much of it when I was growing up. However, especially after I started blogging, I was having a huge craving for it. But till last week, I never saw ragi at any of the Indian stores. So I just couldn't believe my eyes when I finally saw it. I have seen the ragi flour but never the whole ragi seeds. I bought that packet immediately.

It's amazing to see how these khadis have a jelly like consistency without any gelatin, pectin or corn starch. As I was making it, I realized that it's a vegan recipe as well.

Nanchnya Khadi - (Serves 8 - 12)
Ragi Jelly
Ingredients
2 cups whole ragi seeds
2 cups coconut milk
1 - 1 1/2 cup jaggery , grated (or per taste)
1/4 tsp salt
9 cardamoms, peeled & crushed
Method
1. Pick ragi seeds. Pour in a big bowl. Add water and let it stand. All the impurities will float on top. Get rid of them without spilling the ragis. Repeat twice.
2. Add 6 cups water and let ragi soak for 8 -12 hours.
3. After 8 - 12 hours, drain the ragi.
4. Grind drained ragi, coconut milk and jaggery along with 2 cups water, preferably in 2 batches.
5. Pass through a sieve, by pressing the mixture. Discard all the ground ragi that is in the sieve. Wait, you can use those ragi seeds for another use given by Rakhi of Recipes from ma's kitchen. Please read below.
6. Pour the ragi malt in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Stir in salt and cardamom powder.
7. Stir continuously for about 30 minutes on a medium flame till the mixture is thick.
8. Spread in a big metal plates.
9. Let it cool down completely.
10. Cut into squares or diamonds.
Note -
1. My grandmother always used fresh coconut instead of coconut milk. Because of the unavailability of a fresh and good coconut, I used coconut milk.
2. Please note that the proportion for this recipe can feed a big crowd.
3. Ragi flour should not be used for this recipe.
4. Rakhi of Recipes from Ma's Kitchen shared "...Ma would mix the ground ragi (which remains after strainig the mixture)along with rice or wheat flour,add chopped onion,green chilly, coconut, little bit of jaggery and make delicious bhakris. Ma had one policy never waste any part of food". Thanks so much, Rakhi , for sharing this fantastic trash-to-treasure recipe.




This post is my contribution to Sia's RCI - Udupi & Mangalore.
RCI event is started by Lakshmi of Veggie Cuisines.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs