Sunday, July 12, 2009
This recipe is a combination from the Hawkins recipe booklet and my friend's recipe. We enjoyed the outcome.
Kolumino Pullao - (Serves 6 - 8 )
Parsi Prawns Rice
2 cups Basmati rice, rinsed & drained
2 cups or 1 lb shrimp/prawns, deveined & cleaned
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp Dhansak masala or Kitchen King masala (or per taste)
4 cups water
salt to taste
Grind to a fine paste
1/2 cup fresh coconut
3/4 cup cilantro/coriander leaves
2 garlic cloves
3 green chilies (more or less per taste)
5 green cardamoms
1 tbsp oil or ghee/clarified butter
1/2 tsp sugar
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1. Rinse and drain rice and set aside.
2. Grind green masala to a smooth paste & set aside.
3. Clean prawns or shrimp. Add salt and turmeric powder. Refrigerate till ready to use.
4. Heat oil or ghee in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
5. Add sugar. As the sugar caramelizes, add onion. Fry till onion is golden brown uniformly.
6. Add ground masala paste. Saute for 5 minutes.
7. Now add shrimp, dhansak or kitchen king masala. Saute for 2 minutes.
8. Now add drained Basmati rice. Saute for 3 minutes.
9. Add 4 cups water. Add salt* to taste.
10. Bring it to boil. Switch the gas to low. Cover and let it cook till rice is cooked. It will take about 15 - 20 minutes.
11. Switch off the gas. Keep covered for 10 minutes.
12. Open the lid. Fluff the rice with a fork without breaking the rice grain.
1. *Though some salt is used for marinating the prawns/shrimp, you will still need more salt for the overall pullao.
2. I didn't have Dhansak masala so I used Kitchen King masala.