Friday, July 31, 2009

Kolhapuri Misal

I have already blogged about MisaL Pav. But my sweet friend, who sends me her homemade Kolhapuri masala, also sent me a readymade "MisaL Masala". It was by Pilankar brothers, Kolhapur. So while trying to follow the recipe as close to the attached one with the readymade masala, I made my changes to suit the needs of my family.
Please note - This is just my attempt. (There is even 3rd version I have in my note book, that I learnt from my aunt. So do not be surprised if you see more versions of MisaL on my blog. I never said there is one & only one authentic recipe. & I like to try them all).

Kolhapuri MisaL
Ingredients
3 cups matki/muth sprouts, pressure cooked
1 boiled potato, peeled & chopped
1 tbsp kolhapuri masala (or per taste)
1/2 cup water
salt
2 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves

Tempering
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 tomato, chopped

for Kut
1 tsp oil
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 small tomato, chopped
2 cup water
1 tbsp kolhapuri masala (or per taste)
salt to taste

Garnish - As needed
Onion, minced
Cilantro, minced
Sev - Chiwda
Lemon
Yogurt
Fresh Coconut

Method
1. Heat 2 tsp oil in a wok or kadai. Add onions. Saute till soft. Add turmeric powder and tomato. saute for 5 minutes.
2. Add cooked muth sprouts, potatoes, 1/2 cup water, salt, kolhapuri masala, cilantro. Bring to boil. Let it simmer for 10 minutes till water is evaporated. Cover & keep aside.
3. Now heat remaining 1 tsp oil in another saucepan. Add onion, tomato and masala. Saute till onion is soft. Now add water and salt. Bring to boil. Simmer for 15 minutes on a low flame.
4. Now spread some sprouts in a plate, top with any or all ingredients for garnish. Serve "kut" on side along with bread/pav of your choice.

Note -
1. Though the recipe doesn't say so, I add a little jaggery to the sprouts.


This post is my contribution to Priya's Sunday Snacks - Spill the beans event.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs