Monday, July 6, 2009
A simple daal paired with bitter gourd, that I learnt from my MIL.
Kaarela Ni DaalBitter gourd Daal
1/2 cup toor daal, rinsed
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 bitter gourd, scraped, cut into circles , remove seeds
1 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp jaggery
1 small tomato chopped or 1 tsp tamarind paste or 2 dried raw mango piecessalt to taste
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
Plain rice & Ghee
1. Rinse Daal. Add turmeric powder, asafoetida, bittergourd pieces and 1 cup water. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Set aside.
2. Heat oil. Saute all the ingredients for 1 minute.
3. Pour cooked daal, 1 cup water & all the remaining ingredients.
4. Bring to boil. Lower the gas and simmer till daal gets little thicker.
5. Serve with rice along with a few drops of ghee/clarified butter.
1. Instead of coriander-cumin seed powder, Gujarati garam masala can also be used.