Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tomato Chutney

We were at Borders the other day. Gudiya had a story time with other kids. While they were having fun, I browsed through the books that were lying around, and Padma Lakshmi's "Tangy Tart Hot Sweet" caught my attention. I browsed through it and found some interesting recipes, photos and memoirs. Her recipe of Tomato chutney really inspired me to try out immediately. I changed my proportions a bit to suit our taste. I served this chutney with Uma's delicious Cilantro Dosa.

Tomato Chutney
Inspired by "Tangy, Tart, Hot , Sweet" by Padma Lakshmi

Grind to paste -

1 lb tomatoes, chopped

1/2 tsp tamarind pulp

5 kashmiri chilies

Roast & powder -

2 tbsp sesame seeds

1 tbsp urad daal

1 tbsp coriander seeds

1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds


2 tbsp sesame oil

1/2 tsp mustard seeds

1/2 tsp asafoetida

1/2 tsp turmeric powder

2 sprigs curry leaves, torn


1 tsp jaggery (optional)

salt to taste


1. Heat sesame oil in a saucepan. Add all the ingredients for tempering.

2. As they sizzle, add ground tomato mixture and roasted spices. Saute for about 20 minutes or so on a medium flame.

3. Add salt and jaggery - if using. Simmer for 5 minutes till the chutney reaches thick consistency.

Note -

1. Keep the unused portion in the refrigerator. Use within a week.


Tangy, Tart, Hot, Sweet by Padma Lakshmi


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs