Thursday, June 18, 2009

Padwal-DaLimbi - Snakegourd Subzi


Growing up, snake gourd or padwaL definitely did not fall in my "favorites" category. The only reason I tolerated it was that the seeds were used to make delicious PoddaaLe sannapoLo. But I do not see snake gourds that often here. So when I spotted it at our Indian stores, I was actually happy. and when I made simple subzi - my mom's way, I discovered that I actually liked it.

PadwaL - DaLimbi
Snakegourd - Field beans subzi
Ingredients
2 cup chopped snakegourd/padwaL
1/2 cup kadu vaal sprouts/field beans
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar

Tempering
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 - 2 green chilies, slit (or per taste)

Garnish
1 tbsp fresh coconut (more the merrier!)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Method
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadai.
2. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
3. Add beans sprouts and saute for 2 minutes without letting the sprouts to break.
4. Now add chopped snake gourds. Saute for 1 minute. Add 2 tbsp water.
5. Cover the kadai with a lid on top. Keep some water on the lid. and let it cook for about 10-15 minutes till the gourds are cooked.
6. Add salt to taste. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Mix freshly scraped coconut with freshly ground black pepper by hand and add to the subzi.

Note -
1. More coconut up to 1/4 cup will make this subzi tastier. However I have reduced the amount substantially.
2. Do not use dry coconut.
3. Instead of field beans, chana daal soaked in water for 2-3 hours can also be used in the above recipe.
4. Do not confuse the word "DaLimbi" (meaning field beans/vaal) with "DaLimb" (meaning pomegranate).

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs