Yard long beans or chawlichya shenga - as we call in Marathi, are really long. Well, I discovered their length here in US. because the Indian yard long beans were probably lighter shade of green and shorter compared to those available in the oriental stores here. Mom makes stir fry adding kala vatana, upkari and this salad which is the one I love the most.
Yard long beans salad
Ingredients2 cups yard long beans, cut, steamed
1 cup moth/muth/matki sprouts, steamed
2 tbsp roasted peanuts powder
salt to taste
2 tbsp lemon juice (or per taste)
1 tbsp cilantro
1 tbsp coconut (optional)
1 tsp oil
1-2 green chilies, slit
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1. Steam chopped yard long beans and moth sprouts.
2. Let them cool down completely.
3. Mix all the ingredients except those for tempering.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add cumin seeds, chilies. Drizzle the tempered oil over the salad. Mix gently without breaking the sprouts.
5. Serve immediately or refrigerate and then serve.
1. Instead of moth beans/matki, moong beans can also be used.
2. You can steam the vegetables and sprouts in the pressure cooker. Just make sure they do not turn too mushy.
3. The yard long beans should be very fresh for this salad.