Grind to a coarse paste
1 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp jaggery
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. Remove the stems of the gooseberries. Rinse and completely dry them.
2. Add ground masala paste to the berries. Mix well to adjust the consistency of the pickle.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add asafoetida and turmeric powder. As they sizzle, switch off the gas. Let this oil cool off completely.
4. Add cooled oil to the pickle and stir well.
5. Store in a ceramic or glass container in a refrigerator.
1. Since the American gooseberries were tiny, I left them whole. "Ruchira" recommends shredding/grating/chopping the berries after removing the seeds.
2. This pickle must be used within 2 weeks.
Ruchira by Late Mrs. Kamalabai Ogale