Wednesday, May 13, 2009
This "shaak" is my mom-in-law's backup plan. If kids grumble about vegetable, or if some guests show up unexpectedly or when tomatoes are in the season, "Sev Tameta" shows up and makes everyone happy!
10 roma tomatoes, chopped 4 cups
1/2 - 1 tsp chili powder, mild
1 - 1 1/2 tbsp jaggery
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 - 1 cup Spicy sev
1/4 cup cilantro
1 tbsp coconut (optional)
1. Heat oil in kadai or saucepan.
2. Add asafoetida and turmeric powder.
3. As they sizzle, add chopped tomatoes.
4. Let the tomatoes cook in their own juices.
5. Add chili powder, salt to taste and jaggery.
6. Let the water evaporate. Switch off the gas.
7. Just before serving, garnish with sev, cilantro and coconut - if using.
1. Sometimes, my MIL adds half amount of sev to the above shaak after switching off the gas. and remaining half is garnished on the individual plates. This makes some sev soft and some crispy. However, we prefer all crispy sev!