Rangooni Vaal are the big white lima beans. Raisins add a nice touch to this yummy curry.
Rangooni Vaal nu Shaak
Lima Beans Curry
1 cup dry rangooni vaal/large lima beans, soaked overnight
1 medium potato, peeled, chopped
2 tbsp raisins
salt to taste
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
1 tbsp jaggery
1 tsp Gujarati Garam Masala (or per taste)
1/2 tsp mild chili powder or paprika (or per taste)
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp owa/ajmo/ajwain
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1. Pressure cook soaked vaals and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadai , wok or saucepan.
3. Add all the tempering ingredients.
4. As they sizzle add potatoes. Saute till the potatoes are cooked.
5. Now add raisins. Saute till they puff up.
6. Now add Gujarati garam masala, chili powder, salt, tamarind and jaggery.
7. Add cooked lima beans and 1/2 cup water. Mix well without breaking the beans.
8. Let the water evaporate or add more if you desire to have gravy.
9. Garnish with chopped cilantro - if using.
1. The lima beans will almost double in quantity after soaking overnight.
This post is my entry to MLLA - 11th helping.
MLLA is started by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook.