Thursday, May 21, 2009
Serve this spring beverage with ambe daal or watli daal - recipe coming soon.
PanheRaw Mango Beverage
1 raw mango
1/4 cup jaggery, grated or per taste
salt to taste
5 cardamoms, peeled & crushed
4 cups water
1/2 lemon (only if needed)*
few strand of saffron (optional)
1.Pressure cook raw mango till 3 whistles.
2. As it is cooled, squeeze out all the pulp. Discard the pit and peels.
3. Add grated jaggery, crushed cardamom powder, saffron - if using, water and salt to taste.
4. Chill and serve.
1. My mom makes the cooked raw mango pulp mixed with the rest except water in the freezer. It is then served by adding water during the scorching summer months in India.
2. Sugar can be added instead of jaggery. But jaggery gives more earthy flavor.
3. The raw mangoes available in the Indian stores are sometimes not sour enough. You can add lemon juice that time. Otherwise, lemon juice is absolutely not needed as raw mango has enough punch!:-D
4. You can strain the drink if needed, but the real taste is enjoyed by keeping all that pulp.
5. I did not use any saffron, although my mom uses it.