Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Mom always made matkichi usal by pressure cooking everything together and then tempering it. She had 2 good reasons for it. First, she saved oil since everything was pre-cooked and more importantly, she saved time as while packing the fresh "dabbas" - lunchboxes, she also had to pay attention to the clock to catch her daily local train.
3 cups Matki sprouts
1 small onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 medium potato, peeled & chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 green chilies, slit
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt to taste
1/2 tbsp jaggery
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2 tsp goda masala
2 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
1 tbsp fresh coconut, scraped
1. Pressure cook matki sprouts with potato, tomato, onion, garlic and green chilies - if using. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok or kadai. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder. as the mustard seeds sizzle, add goda masala. Saute quickly for 30 seconds.
3. Now, add pressure cooked matki along with the cooking liquid. If cooking liquid is too less, add 1/4 cup water. Add salt and jaggery. Bring to boil.
4. Let it simmer till water is evaporated.
5. Garnish with coconut and cilantro.
1. You can serve this usal with some lemon wedges and sev.