Saturday, May 23, 2009
There are at least 3-4 American Desi ways of making samosas that I learnt after coming to US. The first one is this "Phyllo one". You can use any stuffing of your choice.
Minced Meat Turnovers
1 recipe Kheema
1/2 packet Phyllo pastry sheet
Cooking oil spray
1. Thaw the pastry sheet according to the package instructions.
2. Preheat oven 350 F
3. Spread 3 pastry sheets one on top of the other. Make horizontal strips.
4. Wet the strips quickly. The remaining strips need to be covered with wet paper towel when not using.
5. Spread kheema stuffing as shown. 6. Quickly fold it to make a triangular shape.
7. Imagine you are doing an Origami!!:-D
8. Make rest of the samosa accordingly. Keep the "ready to bake" samosas covered with a wet paper or cotton towel.
9. Spray some cooking oil on the samosas. Bake for total of 20 - 22 minutes or till the samosas are nice and brown. Flip after 10 minutes.
10. Serve hot with tomato ketchup or chaat chutney.
1. You have to be really quick when dealing with the phyllo pastry sheets. If they get exposed to the air, they become very dry and difficult to fold. So remember to keep them covered with a damp towel.
2. Any veggie stuffing of your choice can also be used.