Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ambya Upkari - Mango Curry

As a kid, I never cared for two delicious mango curries. One was this upkari and the other was sasam. I think I would probably taste a drop or so and then excuse myself. What blasphemy!! Now my blog encourages me to try all those distant delicacies. Yes, distant because I don't have access to Raival mangoes that were used to make this curry. So I substituted Mexican mangoes from Costco. And for first time in my life, I ate this curry heartily. Looks like my taste buds have finally matured!:-D

Ambya Upkari
Ripe Mango Curry
3 ripe Mexican mangoes (Champagne variety)
1 1/2 tbsp jaggery (or per taste)
1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)*
salt to taste
Mix together and set aside
1 tbsp wheat flour + 1/4 cup water
1 tsp ghee/toop/clarified butter
3/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
3 red chilies, halved (byadgi preferably)
1. Rinse mangoes and press them around. Remove the peel around the stem. Take out mangoes and juices in a mixing bowl. Add some water to the peels and try to squeeze all mango juice. Set aside. Discard the peels. The total juice should be about 2 cups.
2. Heat ghee in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, red chilies and curry leaves.
3. As the seeds start to splutter, add mangoes with juice.
4. Add salt , jaggery and chili powder. As the curry starts to simmer, and jaggery seems to have melted, add wheat flour+ water mixture. Keep stirring as the curry comes to boil.
5. Switch off the gas. Serve warm.
Note -
1. Traditionally, Raival mangoes are used for this curry. I have substituted Mexican mangoes called Champagne from Costco.
2. My mom does not add chili powder*. But when the curry was simmering it looked too yellow to my eyes. So I wanted to get the color right.
3. When mixing wheat flour and water as a thickener, make sure no lumps remain.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs