Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Simple potato curry made Parsi way this time.
Papeta nu RasaParsi Potato - Green Peas Curry
3 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled, diced
1/2 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp sugar
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafeotida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 green chili, chopped
1 red chili, halved
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp ginger - crushed or grated or minced
salt to taste
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander-cumin powder
1 cup water (more or less per desired consistency)
1 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
1 tbsp coconut (optional)
1 tsp Amul Butter (Optional)
1. Heat oil in a nonstick saucepan. Add sugar. As the sugar caramelizes, add onion and garlic cloves. Saute on a low flame for about 5 minutes till onion is dark brown but not burnt. Drain and keep aside.
2. In the same oil, add tempering2.
3. Saute till tomato become pulpy. Add garam masala, coriander-cumin seed. Saute for 1 minute.
4. Now, add potatoes, peas & 1 cup water. Add salt to taste. Bring to boil.
5. Stir in tomato ketchup, caramelized onion leaving a spoonful aside for garnish.
6. Let it simmer for 10 minutes. Add more water if you want more gravy.
7. Add cilantro, coconut & Amul butter - if using.
8. Garnish with caramelized onion.
9. Serve hot with simple bread toast.
1. Traditionally, the onions are deep fried.
2. Use ghee instead of oil for variation. I used olive oil for this recipe.