Thursday, April 16, 2009

Papayani ChheeN - Raw Papaya Salad

In Mumbai, Vasaiwala used to bring the raw papaya or Vasaiwali used to have raw papaya in the market. I have never seen a raw papaya in the US. Just the other day, I spotted a big red Caribbean papaya at our local Costco. Expecting it to be juicy, I bought it. I even let it ripen for a 2-3 days. But only upper part was ripe. So i carefully removed the ripe part for eating and then removed the raw looking white part, wondering if I could make a couple of raw papaya recipes with it. My first attempt was my MIL's Papaya ni ChheeN. I tried it and it worked for us.

Thanks so much, Maya, for all your help with the watermark and script for my blog.

Papaya ni ChheeN
Grated Raw Papaya Salad
1 small raw papaya, peeled, seeds discarded, grated about 1 - 1 1/2 cup
salt to taste
1 or 2 green chilies, minced
1 knob fresh turmeric root, peeled & grated or minced
1 key lime, freshly squeezed

2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida

1. Mix all the ingredients except tempering.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida.
3. Pour sizzling oil over the salad. Mix well.

1. Adjust the amount of the lemon juice based on the tartness required.
2. Please note that ripe papaya does not work in this recipe. If the ripe papaya has whitish part, you can grate it and use it.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs