Sunday, April 26, 2009

Marble Cake


My friend's mom used to bake excellent cakes. I had her recipe for marble cake which I have misplaced. I still have many of her other recipes for cakes except the marble one. I am so annoyed with myself. I don't bake cakes that often now. But for Gudiya's play date with her friends, I had thought of baking a cake. Since I spent some countless hours looking for the recipe, finally, I was not in any mood to bake the cake from scratch. Betty Crocker to the rescue!! I followed her French Vanilla cake recipe, as given on the back of the cover. I, then, divided the batter. I added 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder. First poured the vanilla batter in the cake pan. and then added chocolate batter. Then I swirled a knife (fork will work too) to get that marble effect.

Back home in Bandra, Mumbai, we were surrounded by wonderful local bakeries. We could make the batter for cakes and cookies and get it baked from the bakeries for a nominal charge. I feel the cakes baked in those bakeries used to taste really good. I wouldn't have blogged about this cake since this is almost ready made or semi-homemade with Betty Crocker cake mix. But then, out of habit, I took the picture after the cake was ready. and then I liked the picture so much that I thought of posting it here. Bundt cake pan definitely adds that "wow" factor, that's what I gathered from my little guests.

Marble Cake
Ingredients
1 packet Betty Crocker French Vanilla flavor
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup water

2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

oil spray for greasing the cake pan

Method
0. Preheat oven to 350 F
1. Mix cake mix, oil, eggs and water using electric hand mixer or wire whisk till smooth batter is formed. There should be no lumps.
2. Divide the batter into two mixing bowls.
3. Add cocoa powder in one bowl and whisk again to get brown batter.
4. Grease the cake pan. Pour white batter first. Pour brown batter on top.
5. Swirl the batter using a knife or a fork to get the marble effect.
6. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or till the skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the cake

Note -
1. Follow the directions on the back of the Betty Crocker cake mix to get the exact baking time for different types of pans.

Check Spelling

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs