Friday, April 10, 2009

Kismoor - Smoked Mackerel Dip

Dried mackerel is considered a delicacy in the coastal seafood communities. I do not have any access to it. I have seen dry mackerels at the oriental stores here, but they looked too huge to my eyes and I dared not buy it. So when I came across this smoked Atlantic mackerel at Whole Foods, I bought it out of curiosity.

I made kismoor with it. This mackerel was smoked but was not totally dried, so it was more like a dip.

Bangdya Kismoor
Smoked Mackerel Dip
1 can smoked Atlantic Mackerel
1 small onion, minced
2-3 green chilies, minced
1 tbsp fresh coconut

salt to taste
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice or 1 tsp tamarind pulp

1. Using a fork, mash the mackerel slightly to get the flakes.
2. Mix all the ingredients together.
3. Serve immediately.

Note -
For the authentic flavor, you can make a well in the center of the kismoor and keep a live charcoal, pour a spoonful of oil and cover it immediately with a steel katori/ramekin to trap the smoke to get the smokey flavor.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs