Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Green Beans Foogath

I love to use French style cut Green beans. I always have at least one packet in my freezer. So when I don't get fresh green beans, that's what I use. Gudiya gobbles it saying "green beans noodles"!

Green Beans Foogath
1 lb green beans, frozen - French style cut
salt to taste

1 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
2 red chilies, halved
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 sprigs curry leaves

2 tbsp freshly grated coconut

1. Heat oil in a kadai or wok.
2. Add all the ingredients for tempering except onion.
3. As the seeds sizzle, add onion. Saute till it is soft.
4. Add green beans, 2 tbsp water. Cover with a lid with water on top.
5. Let it cook on a low flame till beans are soft. Add more water if it seems to stick.
6. Stir in salt.
7. Garnish with coconut.

Note -
1. If you don't have access to frozen french cut green beans, simply use fresh green beans.
2. Similar foogath can also be made with yard long beans.

This post is my entry to FIC - Red & Green at Tasty Recipes.
FIC event is started by Sunshine mom of Tongueticklers.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs