Sunday, April 26, 2009

Bengali Chiwda - my way!

This is just my version of making chiwda bengali style by using mustard oil and panch phoran (5 spices). Please note that I have no idea about the authenticity as this is just my experiment.

Bengali Chiwda - my way
Trail mix with a bengali flavor
2 cups puffed wheat
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
sugar to taste
salt to taste

1 tbsp mustard oil
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp kalonji
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 red chilies, halved

1. Heat oil in a deep, heavy bottomed wok or kadai
2. Add the ingredients for tempering.
3. As they sizzle, add peanuts. Roast for 5 minutes.
4. Now, add puffed wheat, sugar & salt.
5. Make sure wheat is coated with the spices. Switch off the gas.
6. Let it cool down. Store in an airtight container.

Note -
1. Before pouring the puffed wheat, switch the gas to low.
2. You can add some chopped onions and lemon to make an impromptu dry bhel.
This post is my entry to Think Spice: Kalonji at Ammalu's kitchen.
Think Spice event is started by Sunita of Sunita's world.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs