I have started my pantry cleaning. I discovered about 1 cup sorghum/jowar flour. I decided to make these green peas bhakris that I learnt from my MIL.
Vatana Ni Bhakri - About 15
Green Peas Flatbread
1 cup jowar flour/jwari/jondhala/sorghum flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp besan/chickpea flour
2 tbsp flax seeds ground, (optional)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp oil for moaN or mohan
Grind to a fine paste
2 cups fresh or frozen green peas
3-4 garlic cloves along with garlic greens
2 tbsp cilantro
1 green chili
oil for roasting
rice flour or wheat flour for dredging
1. Grind all the ingredients to a fine paste. Set aside.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Make a well in the center. Add ground peas mixture.
3. Slowly start kneading to get a dough. Do not add any water. Stir in 1 tsp oil. and knead again.
4. Make balls and roll out into flat breads using flour for dredging.
5. Roast on a hot frying pan or tawa adding oil as needed, till brown spots appear on both sides.
6. Store the bhakris in a clean kitchen napkin or aluminum foil till ready to use.
7. Serve with pickle and/or raita.
1. If using frozen green peas, make sure they are thawed and moisture is completely drained off.
2. If you do not have garlic greens, use regular garlic cloves of equal amount.
3. In case, if the green peas mixture makes the dough too soft, add some more wheat flour. I didn't need more than mentioned above. But thought of sharing this precautionary tip anyway.
4. You can make the same flatbread using only wheat flour instead of jowar flour.