Monday, March 2, 2009
I have already blogged about Fanasachi Thech Bhaji. Today's recipe is "TaLlelya FaNsachi Bhaji" which means fried jackfruit stir fry. I have reduced the amount of oil & coconut.
TaLlelya PhaNasachi Bhaaji
Fried Jackfruit Stir-Fry
1 can (10 oz) raw jackfruit
1/2 cup kala vatana/black peas sprouts, pressure cooked
Salt to taste
2 tsp jaggery
1 green chili, slit
Grind to a smooth paste
1/4 cup fresh coconut
1 tbsp coriander seeds
4-5 black peppercorns
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
4 dry, red byadgi chilies (use more or less per your taste)
2 tsp tamarind pulp
2 tsp oil
2 tbsp chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, slivered
1. Drain & rinse jackfruit pieces from the can. Drain & cut into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
2. Pressure cook kala vatana sprouts and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onion and garlic. Saute till they are soft. Now add drained jackfruit pieces. Saute till they are nicely browned. Add green chili & cooked kala vatana and saute for a minute.
4. Now add ground masala, 1/2 cup water, salt & jaggery. Bring to boil.
5. Simmer till all the water is evaporated.
1. Traditionally, the raw jackfruit pieces are deep fried before adding to the curry.
2. I have drastically reduced the amount of oil & coconut.
This post is my entry to AFAM - Jackfruit at Lakshmi's Taste of Mysore.
AFAM event is started by Maheshwari of Beyond the Usual.