Sunday, March 8, 2009
Surmai Chi KaLputiKing Fish Curry
6 surmai/king fish steaks (small size)
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chili powder or malvani masala
1/2 cup fresh coconut
7 black peppercorns
4 red, dry chilies
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp tamarind pulp
Soak in 1/4 cup water
7 tirphals - seeds removed
2 tsp oil
1 small onion
few drops of coconut oil (optional)
1. Marinate surmai steaks with salt, turmeric powder and chili powder or malvani masala. Set aside in the refriegetarot till ready to use.
2. After the masala is ground to a fine paste, add tirphal along with water and quickly grind once. Tirphals should not be ground finely. So this step should take place very quickly.
3. Heat oil. Add onion. Saute till onion is soft. Carefully add masala with 1 cup water.
4. Add marianted steaks. Adjust for salt.
5. When the curry comes to a rapid boil, add coconut oil - if using.
1. Tirphals are not meant to be eaten. Discard them.
2. The consistency of this curry needs to be on the thicker side.