3.Instead of tamarind, kokum can be used. If using kokum, rinse 2-3 kokums and add to the boiling curry & do not use tamarind while griding.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Moogachi Hirwi Amti
2 cups moong/moog/mag/mung beans sprouts
salt to taste
1 tsp grated jaggery
1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
Grind to a fine paste
1/2 cup fresh coconut
2-3 green chilies
3/4 cup cilantro/coriander leaves
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp tamarind pulp
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
1. Add 1 cup water to the moong sprouts and bring to boil. Switch the gas to low. Let it cook partially covered. Check from time to time and add more water if needed.
2. Grind masala to a fine paste.
3. Add ground paste to the cooked moong sprouts. Add 1 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil.
4. Switch the gas to low. Add salt, jaggery & coconut milk - if using. Let it simmer gently.
5. Meanwhile, heat oil in a small saucepan. Add tempering ingredients. As they splutter, pour the oil over the simmering curry. Switch off the gas. Cover immediately.
1. The pressure cooker can also be used to cook the mung sprouts. But take care not to make them too mushy and the sprouts should not be broken.
2. A spoonful of cashew nuts &/or fresh coconut slices (called khobryachya kaataLya) can also be added. Cook them along with the mung beans.