Paatichya Kandyachi Bhaji
Spring Onions Stir Fry
1 bunch spring onions (about 15 spring onions)
1 tomato, diced
1 potato, peeled & diced
1/2 tsp goda masala
salt to taste
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp jaggery to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp fresh coconut (optional)
1. Heat oil in a kadai or a pan. Add mustard seeds and turmeric powder.
2. After the seeds sizzle, add spring onions, potatoes & tomatoes one after the other.
3. Saute on a low flame for 5 minutes.
4. Cover with a lid and keep water on the lid. Cook on a low flame till potatoes are cooked.
5. Add salt, goda masala, chili powder, jaggery.
6. If there is any water, let it evaporate. The bhaji should be dry.
7. Garnish with coconut - if using.
1. The second version of spring onions bhaji is called paatichtya kandyacha zunka. Again, it is further subdivided into a) with besan & b) with ground chana daal.
2. For this bhaaji, I used spring onions as available in the American supermarkets. i.e. they have very tiny onion buds as opposed to my picture here.