Monday, February 16, 2009

Sailana Daal

Hope all of you had a great Valentines day. We actually celebrate this day very seriously!! Well, let me be honest. I go overboard and my hubby just tries his best to stay out of the trouble by giving cards and all!!;-D Guess, what I made for the Valentine's day? Deflated Chocolate Souffle Cakes!!!;-D Chalta hain...We enjoyed them nonetheless!!

Anyways, today's recipe is Sailana Daal.When I was growing up in India, there was a food show on TV called "Zaike Ka Safar". I think Saeed Jaffrey used to be the host. I didn't always view it but whenever I did, I surely noted down the recipes. This recipe comes from my notes, with little modifications to suit my family's dietary needs.

Sailana Daal

Ingredients
1 cup toor daal
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste



Tempering
1 tsp ghee/clarified butter
1 tsp oil
1 tsp garlic paste
3-4 cloves


Garnish
1 tsp kasoori methi, crushed by hand
Ghee/clarified butter/toop (optional)


Method
1. Pressure cook toor daal adding turmeric powder and asafoetida. Mash & set aside.
2. Heat ghee and oil in a saucepan.
3. Add cloves, garlic paste. Saute for 2 minutes on low flame.
4. Now add cooked daal and 1/2 cup water.
5. Add salt to taste and bring to boil. Adjust the consistency by adding water but it should be on the thicker side.
6. Simmer for 7 minutes.
7. Crush kasoori methi by hand and sprinkle over daal.
8. Serve hot - adding ghee if using - along with Jeera Rice.


Note -
1. Original recipe asked for just an illegal amount of ghee - 1 cup ghee for 1 cup toor daal!! Can you believe that?

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs