I cook with lots of beans and sprouts. We love them all, but we have a special preference for the Moong or mung beans.
Whole Mung Beans
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp Punjabi Garam masala or Kitchen King Masala
2 tsp oil or ghee
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 dry, red chilies, halved
1 tsp ginger, minced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp coriander leaves/cilantro, chopped
1/2 lemon, squeezed
1. Heat oil in a kadai or saucepan.
2. Add cumin seeds, red chilies, turmeric powder, ginger and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add onion. Fry till onion is softened.
4. Now add tomato. Saute till the tomato becomes a mush.
5. Now add moong sprouts and 1 cup water. Bring to boil.
6. Lower the gas, cover with a lid. Let it cook for 12-15 minutes till moong are cooked but they should not become a mush.
7. Add garam masala and salt to taste.Simmer for 5 minutes till water is evaporated.
8. Garnish with cilantro. Squeeze lemon juice just before serving.
1. You can pressure cook moong beans but make sure that they are not overcooked. Also, you may need to reduce the simmering time accordingly.
This post is my entry to Legume Love Affair - Eighth Serving at The Well Seasoned Cook.