Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Palak-Gajar-Daal na Muthiya
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup shredded, fresh spinach
salt to taste
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 - 2 tsp green chili-ginger paste
1 tbsp plain yogurt (optional)
1 tsp sesame seeds
3/4 cup masoor daal
1/4 cup chana daal
2 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds/teel/tal
1 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1 tbsp fresh, scraped coconut
1 small lemon, squeezed
1. Soak daals overnight or for about 7-8 hours. Next morning, grind them with asafoetida & turmeric powder, without adding any water.
2. Take the batter out. Add carrot, salt, spinach, chili-ginger paste, salt and yogurt - if using. Slowly knead together to form a dough.
3. Shape into rolls as shown below.
4. Steam the rolls in the pressure cooker or idli steamer without putting any pressure/weight.
5. Take off the cooker. Let them cool down a bit. Cut into bite sized pieces.
6. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add the ingredients for tempering. Pour sizzling oil all over the muthiyas.
7. Garnish with cilantro, coconut & fresh lemon juice. Serve warm.
1. Add yogurt while kneading slowly so the dough shouldn't get too sticky.
2. If you like, instead of tempering, you can even saute the muthiyas in oil.
This is my entry to Ashwini's Lentil Mela.