Monday, February 23, 2009
It was simply amazing watching Oscars last night. Kudos to A.R.Rahman for bagging the two prestigious awards. "In my life, I've had a choice between love & hate. I chose love and I am here!" - well said, Mr. Rahman. We are so proud of you. You are a genius!
and kudos to Mr. Resul Pookutty! "I come from a country and a civilization that has given the universal word. That word is preceded by silence, followed by more silence. That word is 'Om.' So I dedicate this award to my country." Well said, Mr. Pookutty!
"Slumdog Millionaire" the movie swept the eight awards at the Oscars last night. Way to go, everyone associated!!
& I didn't even know about the documentary "Smile Pinky". But it will surely spread awareness about the operation smile train.
Let's celebrate it with Varichi Khichdi. Well, it's Mahashivratri, remember?:-D
1 cup vari/variche tandul/bhagar/moryo/samo
2 cups hot water
1/4 cup crushed roasted, unsalted peanuts/daanyache koot
salt to taste
sugar to taste
1 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 - 2 green chilies, slit
1 tbsp fresh coconut
1 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves (optional)
sweetened yogurt (yogurt+salt+sugar)
1. Roast variche tandul/bhagar/samo/moryo in a nonstick saucepan on a low heat till they slightly change color. Switch off. Let it cool down.
2. Slowly pour hot water while stirring with the hand. Cover and keep aside for about 30 minutes. Fluff it with a fork so there are no lumps.
3. Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds and green chilies.
4. As the seeds and chilies sizzle, add fluffed vari/samo/bhagar/moryo. Also add crushed peanuts, salt & sugar to taste. Sprinkle about a spoonful of water. Mix well.
5. Cover and let it cook for 5 minutes on a low flame.
6. Stir in coconut & cilantro - if using.
7. Serve with any of the accompaniments mentioned above.