Chettinad Lima Beans
Inspired by Julie Sahni's Indian Regional Classics
16 oz baby lima beans, frozen
salt to taste
1 cup water
Grind to a smooth paste
1/4 cup coconut
1 green chili
1/2 tsp fennel seeds/badishep/saunf/variyali
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
7-9 almonds (the original recipe had cashews)
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 small onion, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
1. Heat oil. Add all the spices and powders. Saute. Add onion. Saute till soft.
2. add tomato and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Now add ground coconut paste. Saute for 5 minutes.
4. Add lima beans, water, salt. Bring to boil.
5. Cover and let it cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes.
6. Garnish with cilantro.
1. I let the water evaporate to serve it with chapati. If desired, you can add more water to give curry like consistency.
2. The original recipe had cashews in the ground paste as well as whole cashews along with lima beans in the curry.
4. I served with a lemon wedge.
Chettinad Lima Beans are going to celebrate RCI - Chettinad at Srimathi's Few Minutes Wonder.
RCI event is started by Lakshmi of Veggie Cuisine.