Tindora-Kanda nu Shaak
Ivy gourds-Onion Curry
1 lb ivy gourds/gherkin/tondli/tindora/tendli, cut into quarters
1 onion, chopped
salt to taste
1 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. Cut the tindora/tendli/tondli/gherkins in quarters. Steam in the pressure cooker till 2-3 whistles.
2. Heat oil in a wok or kadai. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder.
3. As the seeds sizzle, add chopped onion. Saute on a low flame till the onion becomes light brown. Do not let it burn.
4. Stir in coriander-cumin seed powder, chili powder and salt. Saute for 1 minute.
5. Now add steamed tindoras. Mix carefully without letting tindoras break.
6. Simmer till all the water - if any - from the steamed tindora is evaporated.
7. Serve with chapati/phulka or thepla.
1. This shaak can also be made by cooking tindora in the wok itself. In that case, cover with a lid and keep some water on the top of the lid till tindoras are cooked.