Monday, January 5, 2009

Lima Beans Usal - 2



This is my maushi's - maternal aunt - recipe. Every time, I call her before making it just to make sure that I am adding everything correctly. This time, I decided, I better blog about it so I have the exact recipe with me. Next time, I will call her after making it just to let her know that it came out superb.

Oh, I also realize that I am blogging about Lima Beans Usal - 2 but I haven't blogged about Lima beans usal -1 yet!! Well, Usal-1 as mom makes, shall appear soon!!:-D


Paavtyachi UsaL
Lima Beans Usal
Ingredients
1 packet frozen baby lima beans 16 oz
salt to taste
1 small onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped


1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp jaggery

Grind to a fine paste
3-4 sprigs mint
3-4 cloves garlic
1 cup cilantro/coriander leaves
11/2 " ginger
1 green chili (use more to make it spicier)

Tempering
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder

Method
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
2. As the seeds sizzle, add onion. Saute till it is soft.
3. Add tomatoes. Saute till it becomes a mush.
4. Now add green masala paste. Saute for 2-3 minutes till a nice aroma fills the kitchen.
5. Stir in lima beans, 1 cup water, jaggery, salt, chili powder, garam masala, coriander-cumin seed powder.
6. Bring to boil. Let it simmer on a low flame for about 11-12 minutes.

Note -
1. This curry should have a little gravy. So do not let the water evaporate completely.

2. You can also add a potato (peeled & diced) in this usal. That can be added after onion. Make sure it is partially cooked before adding lima beans.

This post is my contribution to My Legume Love Affair - Seventh Helping at Srivalli's.
My Legume Love Affair event is started by Susan of The Well seasoned Cook.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs